Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Our scary experience...

Denten won't let me post a picture, but I thought I would share the story. Saturday evening Denten was planning on taking me into the city for dinner and to see Wicked. I think we were both excited for the evening together. After helping a family in the ward move most of the day, Denten borrowed a ladder and decided to clean our rain gutters. That is when our night changed. He had been on the roof for about 1 1/2 hours and was just starting down the ladder to clean up for our evening, when...

THE LADDER KICKED OUT FROM UNDER HIM AND HE FELL 15 FEET, HITTING THE FIRST STORY AND THEN LANDING ON THE CONCRETE GROUND ON HIS FACE!!!!

It was the scariest day of my life! For once I was on the other side. The one who was suppose to be calm, but I wasn't. He called for me and I ran outside to find him hosing his face off and blood was EVERYWHERE!! He told me to stop crying everything was going to be okay and get him a towel. I followed directions best I could and he walked inside to the bathroom, lied down in the bathtub and started running the water over his head and hand to clean the wounds. He then said, call a friend, I won't be able to go to the show with you tonight. And then call 911. I didn't call a friend to go to the show, I had my own show going on right in front of me, but I did call 911. The fire department and ambulance arrived within minutes along with my awesome cousin Debbie and her husband Mike to watch the boys. To see your husband strapped to a gurney with a neck brace and blood all over his face is the most frightening thing you could imagine. The ambulance took their "trauma" patient (my husband), to John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek (a hospital I already knew all too well), and rushed him into x-rays. Amazingly, Denten only broke his nose in two places, broke his jaw, road rash on most of his right side of his face, lacerated his right hand so they had to repair muscle, fat and skin and just has minor cuts in various places. Yes, after calling my amazing Mom and my long-time, close friend Kristin (THANK YOU!) and crying on her shoulder, I found out he was going to be okay. He spent the next two nights and two days in the hospital and was released with strict orders to stay down for one week. It is only Tuesday and he is doing amazingly well. (Oh and Thank you to Brigham too who gave up his birthday evening to come and give Denten a blessing with his brother). We have had so many thoughtful visitors, calls, flowers, good deeds, cards, etc. it has truly been an overwhelming experience. Thank you to everyone! We are on the mend...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurel, I have been thinking of you and so happy to hear Denten is ok and will be up and back to work soon. It is scary, but makes a good story for your blog! Hope the boys have a Happy Halloween as well! Love to all, Aunt Jeri

Deborah W said...

aw, man, I was looking forward to a photo, lol! ok, then, we'll just have to come over and see Denten in person!!!

Jade said...

I can't believe you started this sentence with only, "only broke his nose in two places, broke his jaw, road rash on most of his right side of his face,"
Yikes Laurel. I wish I was closer to help.

Amber said...

Goodness Gracious!! So glad to hear he is ok. I wish I lived closer so I could bring dinner or help with your boys! You guys are in our prayers. Laurel--you handled it much better than I would have, I would have fainted. You guys take care and keep Denten off of ladders.

Hanaike House said...

Wow, that is scary! I would not have been able to be calm either, but it sounds like you took care of things just fine. Tell Denten we wish him a speedy and restful recovery.

Christensen said...

Scary! I'm glad to hear he is OK. Tell him to take care and get better quickly!

Isom Crew said...

Goodness Laurel. That is much worse than I thought. I'm so glad he is okay. That must have been absolutely horrifying for the both of you. So glad you have good friends and family to help you when you are in need.

jhoopes said...

Oh YIKES. I am so grateful Denten is okay. Holy cow--things can happen so fast that change everything. I am glad this one only changed your night out and maybe a week down. Although I am sorry you missed Wicked, I am so glad Denten is on the mend!!

Genuinely Garff said...

WHAT??? Oh my goodness. I am so glad he's okay. That is terrifying Laurel. I so wish I'd checked in sooner. You guys are amazing. I hope he's doing well now.